Drs. Steven and Randy and our team understand that many patients feel nervous about visiting the dentist. If you are one of many who experience dental anxiety, we will gladly work with you at your own pace and comfort level. We proudly offer sedation dentistry in American Fork, Utah, to help patients feel more comfortable in our care. A nurse anesthetist will visit our office to administer sedation so that you do not need to visit the hospital. Contact Elite Dental at 801-763-7737 to learn more!
Sedation Dentistry is a service we offer that provides a relaxing experience for those who may be overly anxious about receiving a dental treatment. If you have suffered from dental phobia and it has held you back from taking care of your teeth, this service can help. Sedation allows you to go into a relaxed, calm state and can be administered in different ways. It is safe and effective because it is administered by one of our trained dentists who supervises you at all times. The technique we use is simple and does not require any needles. Sedation works so well that it is common for patients to have no memory of the procedure. It is different from an anesthetic injection which is directed to one specific area of your mouth. Due to the state this places you in, you will need assistance driving home from the dental office until it fully wears off.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation allows a long procedure to only feel like a few minutes has passed. If you choose to have a smile makeover or extensive procedure done that would normally take several hours and multiple visits, this option can make the time go by very quickly. If you are nervous about dental work in the first place, sedation provides an anxiety-free experience. This allows you to take care of your teeth and overall oral health, which is vital for your well-being.
- Levels of Sedation – The sedative methods we use vary in strength and depend on what work you are having done procedure wise. We will go over what we recommend for your specific treatment plan. You can also request a stronger sedation if you suffer from severe dental anxiety. The sedation level ranges from mild, to moderate, to deep. Each level requires different types of sedation. We take the time to explain the process with you and what to expect before the procedure. We do require a review of your medical history and list of any medications you are currently taking, as this will determine your dose. We also need to know about any over the counter herbal supplements or products you use, which you may need to stop taking for a short time before your procedure.
- Mild – Anxiolysis refers to mild sedation and is used to relieve your anxiety at a low level. This is one of the most commonly requested types of sedation for those nervous about seeing the dentist. To administer it, we use a small nose-hood that is placed over your nose. Nitrous oxide is delivered through this device, allowing you to inhale and attain the effects. It is normal to feel an overall state of well-being and slight tingling and numbness. The cost for this level of sedation can range from $50 to $60, which also depends on your insurance coverage.
- Moderate – This level of sedation is a step up from mild levels. It is referred to as a depressed level of consciousness. You can breathe normally, retain bodily reflexes, and still respond when spoken to. You will not be aware of any pain or smells. For this level of sedation, you will need someone to drive you to and from the dental office.
- Intravenous – Intravenous sedation makes you feel like you are sleeping. When administered through an injection, the effects are instant and are ideal for shorter dental procedure durations. The most common side effect of this level of sedation is memory loss of the entire procedure, which is ideal for many patients who would rather not be aware of what is going on. It will also make you feel like a long procedure only lasts a few minutes. The cost depends on the amount of time you need to be sedated for and whether intravenous or non-intravenous sedation is used.
- Intramuscular – This level of sedation is the strongest and requires an injection of sedative drugs into the muscles on your upper arm or upper thigh. It takes about five minutes to take effect. This is not commonly requested or necessary during a dental procedure, but we do know how to administer it safely if we need to.
To find out more about sedation dentistry and how it could be the answer to your anxieties, call our office today. Don’t put off your oral health when we have the solution. We want you to have the smile you deserve. Our dentists are trained and certified to safety and effectively administer sedation for our dental procedures.
Learn More About Our
Elite Dental Loyalty Program
Elite Dental is a general dental practice that provides a full range of dental services, allowing us to make minimal referrals to specialists. Contact us today to learn how you can join our loyalty program and schedule your appointment with our dentists!
- Routine Cleanings (2 per benefit year)
- X-rays (2 per benefit year)
- Examinations (2 per benefit year)
- 25% Off All Other Dental Services Provided in Our Office (some exclusions apply)