While our dentists strive to help patients maintain their natural smiles, we understand that tooth decay is a natural part of life and is often inevitable. Drs. Steven and Randy can often repair damaged teeth with composite dental fillings to restore strong, natural-looking teeth. We encourage you to contact Elite Dental at 801-763-7737 if you feel you would benefit from a dental filling in American Fork, Utah.
Fillings are one of the most common dental procedures we do. Almost everyone will need at least one filling in their lifetime. Fillings are used to treat tooth decay. It restores a tooth back to normal and allows it to function while preventing further decay. During your dental exam, we use a small mirror to look at each tooth. We also use x-rays to identify any issues below the gum line. If you have noticed any pain or sensitivity, it is important to bring it to our attention during your visit.
Types Of Fillings
Different types of fillings are used for different types of tooth damage. We also have alternatives for those who have allergies to certain materials. We can also help you decide on an option based on cost and coverage.
- Composite Resin Filling – These look more natural because they are made to match the color of your existing teeth. These are ideal for smaller fillings. They are still susceptible to discoloration from certain foods and drinks.
- Gold Filling – This type of filling can last more than 20 years. Gold fillings are made to order and attached to your teeth with dental cement. These are a more expensive option.
- Porcelain Filling – Porcelain is also referred to as inlays and onlays. They are custom made and then bonded to your tooth. Porcelain is much more resistant to staining and are also matched to your natural tooth color. Porcelain is used to cover a larger cavity area.
- Silver Filling – These are also known as amalgam fillings. Silver is an affordable option that is more resistant to wear and tear over time. These should be used in areas of your mouth that are less visible, as the dark silver color will stand out compared to the color of your other teeth.
When you come in to get a filling, you will be given a local anesthesia to numb the area in your mouth. We use a small drill to cut through the enamel. This is what allows us to remove decay. A different drill is used to finish the removal once we have reached the second layer within your tooth. We completely shape the space completely before using the filling. If the area we drilled is close to a nerve, we might use a protective liner as well. We then prepare the filling solution and place it into the open area of your tooth, creating a seal and protective layer. We use a light to harden the filling, resulting in a strong, repaired tooth.
Dental fillings last for many years before they need to be replaced. Just as your tooth experiences wear and tear over time, so can your filling. Taking precautions against grinding your teeth and eating hard foods will help your filling last as long as possible. It is important to continue coming in every six months for your dental cleaning. If you have fillings, or any other dental work, we will make sure it is still doing its job. This is the best way to prevent major damage and the risk for gum disease.
Benefits Of Dental Fillings
- Stops Cavity From Spreading – By cleaning the decayed part of your tooth and sealing it with a fillings, the decay can no longer spread to the rest of your tooth and mouth.
- Improves Tooth Structure – Fillings provide the support your tooth needs after decay is removed. It acts as a normal tooth and the materials we use can be matched to the color of your natural teeth.
- Strengthens Teeth – A filling can also be used on a fractured or cracked tooth. We usually use a white composite for this procedure so any work we do is not noticeable. Cracked teeth are usually the result of trauma but can also result from chewing on hard things like ice and candy. Your teeth weaken as you age, so you should avoid trying to chew these types of foods in order to prevent fractures.
- Improved Teeth Color – We can use composite fillings to fix stained and discolored teeth. Drinks like soda, coffee and wine can stain your teeth over time and should be avoided once these stains are removed.
Getting a filling is nothing to worry about and does not mean you have bad oral health. Treating cavities is what prevents the need for extensive dental work. It also greatly reduces your chance of gum disease and tooth loss. If you have noticed any pain or sensitivity in your teeth, come in for a check up. Our cleanings and fillings are painless and completed in a short amount of time.
Learn More About Our
Elite Dental Loyalty Program
Elite Dental is a general dental practice that provides a full range of dental services, allowing us to make minimal referrals to specialists. Contact us today to learn how you can join our loyalty program and schedule your appointment with our dentists!
- Routine Cleanings (2 per benefit year)
- X-rays (2 per benefit year)
- Examinations (2 per benefit year)
- 30% Off All Other Dental Services Provided in Our Office