At Elite Dental, our dentists and team are committed to helping you maintain optimal oral health for life. We are pleased to offer a number of services aimed at preventing dental problems before they start. To learn more about preventive care in American Fork, Utah, and to set up your next appointment with Drs. Steven and Randy, we invite you to contact us soon at 801-763-7737.
At Elite Dental, we specialize in preventative dentistry. It is always our goal to prevent and treat your dental needs and avoid expensive restoration procedures. Being proactive about dental care means you will have healthier teeth and gums. When you come in for a cleaning, we use special tools to thoroughly clean and examine your teeth. We also polish them and give you the option of applying fluoride for an extra barrier of protection.
Preventative Dentistry at the Dentist’s Office
There are certain treatments and cleaning procedures only we can do in our dental office. Making sure you come in for your regularly scheduled cleanings is vital in preventative care. Unless you have other oral issues we need to address, you only need to come in for these cleaning once every six months.
Our preventative care treatments and techniques include the following:
- We use specialized dental tools to clean your teeth and get rid of plaque and tartar build-up and avoid gum disease.
- We check your teeth and gums to catch early signs of gum disease, periodontal disease, and decay
- We check all other areas of your mouth, including examining your x-rays to see what is going on below the gumline.
- We screen you for oral cancer that can lead to other health conditions.
- We create specialized treatment plans and preventative care plans based on your needs.
After a cleaning, it is important to continue preventative dental practices at home. We take the time to go over what you can do to keep your teeth as healthy as possible, no matter what procedure you have come in for.
Preventative Dentistry at Home
Many preventive dental techniques are probably already part of your daily oral hygiene routine. You should be brushing your teeth twice a day, ideally once in the morning and once at night after you are finished eating. You should also floss at least once a day. The ideal time to floss your teeth is at night before bed. Replacing your toothbrush needs to be done every three to four months. After some time, bristles are no longer structured enough to brush your teeth and fight bacteria effectively. Look for a toothbrush that has been approved by the American Dental Association, with an ADA Seal of Acceptance clearly marked on the packaging. The same standard should be met for the other products you buy, like toothpaste and mouthwash. ADA seals mean these oral health products have undergone testing and have been proven to be safe and effective for everyday use. If you need a specialized recommendation due to sensitive teeth or dry mouth, we can advise you on the best products and brands for your needs.
In addition to brushing and flossing, what you eat also affects the condition of your teeth. We always advise you to stay away from eating too much sugary or acidic foods. This is the same for sugary drinks. These sugars will build up on your teeth and are the main cause for cavities. We know you cannot avoid these foods altogether, but limiting how much candy you eat, especially things like suckers and hard candies, is always a good idea. Drinks like soda, coffee and red wine put your teeth at risk for stains and discoloration as well. We have services like teeth whitening that can reverse stains and discoloration, but you have to actively take care of your teeth to prevent this from coming back. We can also go over your medications to find out if they are the reason you are having problems with your teeth.
Benefits Of Preventative Care
- Prevent cavities by brushing and flossing daily
- Prevent gum disease through regular cleaning that remove bacteria
- Eliminate bad breath that can be a result of tartar build up
- Catch jaw problems early and prevent clicking and tension headaches
- Avoid serious health problems like diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer and respiratory disease
- Save money by avoiding expensive dental procedure
- Enjoy painless treatments instead of invasive surgeries
- Save time by only having come in every six months for cleanings
- Improve the appearance of your smile by maintaining healthy teeth
We understand how important preventive dental care is. We are committed to helping our patients achieve the youthful, healthy smile they deserve. When you need an experienced and caring dentist that can look after your entire family’s dental needs, look no further than Elite Dental. For more details about our services and how they can benefit you, call today to schedule an appointment.
Learn More About Our
Elite Dental Loyalty Program
Elite Dental is a general dental practice that provides a full range of dental services, allowing us to make minimal referrals to specialists. Contact us today to learn how you can join our loyalty program and schedule your appointment with our dentists!
- Routine Cleanings (2 per benefit year)
- X-rays (2 per benefit year)
- Examinations (2 per benefit year)
- 30% Off All Other Dental Services Provided in Our Office